Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Monday, March 26, 2012

First Ride of the Year in Gatineau Park!

Joy here...On Friday evening, I ended up stubbing my little toe so badly that I think I've fractured it.  It's swollen and there's a horrible purple line running down it.  Whatever the case, I figured that I should hold off on running and maybe head out for a bike ride instead, which is how I ended up out there on Saturday's 40km, full-bladder ride, and since the pain of the toe isn't so bad on the bike as it is walking, I figured another bike ride wouldn't hurt it.

So I was able to get my trusty friend, the Sashinator, to agree to meet up with me on Sunday morning while The Man headed out for his own ride with a new friend we've made WHO USED TO BE A PROFESSIONAL CYCLIST.  So, um, yeah, we weren't up for riding with those two maniacs.  But we were up for a ride in the park.

The park seems to feature prominently on this blog.  I've ridden there in the height of summer, getting glorious views from the Champlain Lookout; I've ridden up to get the views of the autumnal colours; and each time I ride in the park, the first challenge is to make it up the Pink Lake climb.

Pink Lake, still covered with a layer of ice.
In the early season, it's too ambitious to think that I'd be up for a full loop of the park; last year at the end of April, my first couple of bike rides were just up to the Pink Lake lookout and back home.  This year it's only March, but the Sashinator and I rode up to Pink Lake lookout and then continued on further into the park, almost convincing ourselves to carry on and do a loop.  But luckily for us, our brains prevailed, and we turned around and headed for home before finding ourselves halfway through a much tougher ride than our legs can handle in a day that turned cool and wet.

So, broken toe and all, I had an enjoyable ride in the park, letting myself have those "wheeeee!" feelings as I rode down from the Pink Lake climb and made it home just as the guys got home from their power ride.  My ride was 50kms door-to-door, so even with a fractured baby to, I still managed around 90kms this weekend.

Now I just have to get out there and run!

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment