Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Friday, December 30, 2011

"Can Eat Eat"...Malaysia Styles, Part 2

Sarawak Laksa
Joy here...Okay, so the last time I was in Malaysia over the holiday season (and Malaysians know how to do Christmas well, trust me), I gained so much weight that I literally burst out of my pants before I got on the plane to return back to Canada.  This time, I narrowly missed bursting out of my pants, but that's only because I wore jeans that had some stretch in them this time.  I gained as much weight (if not more) than I did back in 2009.

Back in 2009, that pants-bursting-experience is the motivation that kicked my smooshy butt into action to sign up for my first ever running race, the 10km race that Nomi and I did together in May 2010.  Since then, I've done 5 other running races.  Now I'm going to use my newly smooshy butt as motivation to sign up for my next running race.  This time it's going to be the 1/2 marathon in my hometown.

Chicken Rice
You see, lately each year I've been in Singapore for the last weekend in May, first running the 10km race (2010) and then running the 21km race (2011).  But that same weekend is "Race Weekend" in Ottawa where I live right now.  I've never actually been around to participate in any of the events at this weekend, but thanks to my over-indulgence with booze and food while in Malaysia, I've decided to sign up for the local 1/2 marathon as my motivation to get back in shape and get over all the food that I've eaten for the last 3 weeks straight!

Everyone keeps telling me that the holiday season is a time of indulgence and that even professional athletes need an "off season," and I shouldn't feel bad about all the food and booze that I consumed since the start of our trip to Malaysia, and with only the odd 30-40minute run in my vibram five-fingered shoes, I've certainly had one heck of an "off season."

Now, it just remains to be seen whether or not I can have enough of an "on season" to work off my spare tire and train for a decent 1/2 marathon in 5 months!

In the meantime, enjoy this little pictoral of what I've been stuffing myself with, and you'll get a sense of what I'm carrying around on my midsection! :)

Home made Chocolate Mousse Cake with Cointreau Cream
Christmas lunch (vegetables, turkey, potato salad)
Salty Seaweed Snack
Mushroom Quiche with salad
Okay, I'm going to go and put on some sweatpants (one of the few pants that still fit these days) and go and have a workout.

Over and out,
Joy


No comments:

Post a Comment